2006/11/11

Another pair of Folk Socks

Estonian Socks

Estonian Socks
Pattern source: Folk Socks / Nancy Bush
Yarn: Ohut Pirkkalanka (dark brown and green) and Curious Yarns sock yarn (turquoise)
Needles: 2,25 mm


estonian2

Kylläpä tuntuu mukavalta saada tälläinen ikuisuusprojekti päätökseen! Sukista tuli ihan kivat, vaikkakin pikkuisen väljät. Pirkkalanka on aika karheaa, eikä sitä kai sukkalangaksi ole tarkoitettu, joten jää nähtäväksi, kuinka kauan sukat kestävät.

What a lovely, lovely feeling it is to finish something! I'm quite happy with these socks too, although they could have been just a bit tighter. The yarn I used is not the softest stuff around (and not meant for sock knitting, so hopefully these will last more than one wear!), but I hope it'll soften upon washing.

Estonian Socks 2

Tein muutamia muutoksia ohjeeseen: Kantapäähän lisäsin kiilakavennukset, joita ohjeessa ei ollut lainkaan (epämukavan kuuloista minusta), ja sukan kärkeen tein French toe -kavennuksen ihan kokeilunhalusta. Sukan sivuilta jätin laiskuuttani pois kierretyin silmukoin tehdyt palmikot, ja ehkä ne eivät olisi näin tummassa langassa kunnolla näkyneetkään. Muutoksiin olen ihan tyytyväinen, ja erittäin tyytyväinen olen siitä, että sukat ovat viimeinkin valmiit!

I made a few modifications to the pattern as written: a different heel – these socks had no gusset shaping, and I thought that might be uncomfortable – and a different toe, because I wanted to try the French one. I also left out the twisted traveling stitch braids, mainly because I was lazy, but also because I thought that they wouldn't show in this dark brown yarn. I'm happy with my mods, and I'm super happy that these are finally done!

Estonian Socks with shoes

Paljon kiitoksia vielä kaikille huopatossukehuistanne! Ihan nolottaa, että olen niin kovin hidas vastaamaan kommentteihinne, yritän taas ryhdistäytyä. Mukavaa lauantaita kaikille lukijoilleni! :-)

Thank you all so much for your nice comments about my felted slippers! I've been super busy and haven't had time to email you all personally, so here's a big public thank you to you all! I've contacted the Moda magazine, and then the designer to ask if this pattern is available in English, but she hasn't replied yet. I know that this pattern has been in one of the Sandnes catalogs, but unfortunately I don't know in which one. I'll keep you posted if I find out more.