2008/03/24

Tweedy ruffles

Garter Ruffle Shawl

Garter Ruffle Shawl
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed, 3 x 50 g cocoa, 2 x 50 g charcoal
Needles: 4 mm

This is a modified version of Wool Peddler's Shawl from Folk Shawls, author Cheryl Oberle. I replaced the lace edge with a simple garter stitch ruffle.

Garter Ruffle Shawl

Sometimes things just fall in place perfectly. I think I've knit my favourite thing ever – I love this shawl so, so much. It's light as a feather, yet very warm, it drapes beautifully around my shoulders, and the tweedy yarn prevents it looking too fancy. The downside? It is meant for my mom. She deserves it of course, I'm just afraid she won't love it like it's supposed to be loved, deeply and passionately that is.

Garter Ruffle Shawl

The shawl used up my entire stash of Felted Tweed, three balls of lighter brown and two of the darker for the ruffle. When I changed colours, I just increased one stitch every two stitches for one row, and then it was all knitknitknitting again until there was no yarn left. I blocked the shawl by soaking it and then pinning it out as big as I could, which made it nice and airy. I couldn't figure out how the block the ruffle though, so after the shawl had dried, I ironed the edge gently, and that really made all the difference.

Garter Ruffle Shawl

I'm kinda on a yarn diet right now, but I'm seriously contemplating on buying more Felted Tweed so that I can make a Garter Ruffle Shawl for myself too. Or maybe I'll just ask my mom whether she would like a pair of socks better...