2008/01/18

A good FO, some resolutions and many thanks

Anais

Anais
by Norah Gaughan
Pattern source: Berroco Norah Gaughan Volume 1

Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Alpaca, 3,5 skeins, and Knit Picks Shadow, 1,5 skeins, held doubled
Needles: 3,5 and 3,75 mm

This year is proving to be so much better than the last one! The first (and the last!) sweater of 2007 was a disaster, and it pretty much made me stop knitting anything but socks all together. But now I'm starting to feel the old love again. Before diving into the world of knitting socks, I used to knit mainly sweaters, and I hope to knit at least a few this year. Anais is a good start.

Anais

I'm very happy with this vest for several reasons. First of all, it fits. And that was not just a lucky coincidence, like usually – this time I actually measured myself, measured my favourite vests that fit just right and did the math. I did the math, people! I was right between sizes 34 and 38, so it was not too difficult to figure out the numbers for a size 36.

Resolution number one: Don't be lazy. Do the math!

Secondly, I'm quite proud of my inventive use of stash yarns. I couldn't get gauge with Drops Alpaca alone, but doubled with the laceweight Knit Picks Shadow, the gauge was spot on.

Resolution number two: Don't be greedy. Try to make do with what you have!

Anais

And last, I really really like this one! The style is very "me". I think I'm even gonna wear this one in public, not just during the photoshoot, which is a nice bonus, don't you think? Looking back to the sweaters I've done during the time I've blogged, there are only two I wear: Raspy and Sunrise Circle Jacket. That's two out of ten. Meaning that 80 % of my sweater projects have been failures of some sort. They have been either too big (Heather), too small (Punch), too short (Shona) or too ugly and ridiculously warm (The Big Blue Sweater), totally wrong for my body type (China, Dawn) or not my style at all (Brier, Martha). Simple things – choosing the right pattern for me, for my shape and size and style – and yet so very difficult, it seems.

Resolution number three: Knit for yourself, not for the model in the magazine.

But also, enjoy the knitting! I'm so excited about my next sweater project – I'm still at the swatching stage – and I've ripped all the wips that I didn't love anymore. Didn't feel bad at all.

– – –

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments about the Spina di Pesce socks! I've finally come to realize that as much as I would love to, I simply do not have the time to answer each comment by email anymore. This makes me sad, but I hope you understand – I work full time, and I very much like to spend some time with my family too, so something must go. I'm gonna answer your questions in the comments section, so please, check there, if you're waiting for an answer. But otherwise, thank you for taking the time to comment, I really do appreciate it!

Oh, and thank you SO much for all the "You make my day" awards! It's nice to know, that although I've been struggling with blogging lately, there are still people who enjoy reading my ramblings. Even in English. Thank you.