2008/03/21

Any Meidas out there?

Meida's Mittens

Meida's Mittens
by Nancy Bush
Pattern source: Folk Knitting in Estonia / Nancy Bush
Yarn: Vuorelma Satakieli (901 gray, 964 blue, 088 dark blue) + sock yarn scraps
Needles: 2,25 mm (for the cuff) + 2 mm

Modifications: Decreased 4 stitches after cuff, made the mittens longer and the top rounded

Meida's Mittens

I'll start with the good.

I think this is a beautiful pattern. I love the fair-isle cuff, and I'm pretty happy with the colours I chose for it. I also like the yarn. Satakieli is not very smooth when knitting, but after washing and blocking it really blooms and softens, and the finished fabric looks really beautiful.

Meida's Mittens

But.

I have no idea why in the world I decided to knit mittens. I never wear mittens! Gloves are much more practical, and when it's cold, I prefer wearing my thick leather mittens. I realized this after having knitted the first one, and that, to put it mildly, caused some motivation problems. That, and the fact that the mitten was just a tiny bit too small for me. To top it off, the long break in between knitting these two caused the other mitten to be even smaller. Not much, but still. Oh well.

Meida's Mittens

(ETA: Gone to Piua!) Still, I'm happy I persevered. They are pretty! But knowing that I'd never wear these, I'm offering my mittens up for graps: if there's someone out there who likes wearing mittens and have medium sized hands (preferably one smaller than another), please say so in the comments. I would love to see my mittens find a good home.