2008/04/23

Now I feel ten feet tall

Well, wow. You guys really know how to make a girl feel better. A bit embarrassed too - next time I feel like deleting my blog I'll just keep it to myself without making such a fuss about it. But seriously: thank you so much for your wonderful, encouraging words. I am humbled and thankful, and so not worthy. (I'm still gonna print out all the comments, laminate them and carry them with me all the time. Ahem.)

One more thing about perfectionism: doesn't it suck that it usually does not extend to all parts of your life? Like, I feel perfectly fine not vacuuming under the carpets.

Conwy

Let's talk some yarn for a change!

I started a new pair of socks (the pattern is Conwy from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road). I wanted to try out the other Knittery yarn I had in my stash, since I liked the merino one so much. Oh, I guess I didn't tell you that in my last post: I really, really liked the yarn I used for the Gentleman's Shooting Stockings. It's a bit thinner than your average sock yarn, resulting socks wonderfully light and comfy. It's discontinued, but the new Merino Slim Sock has approximately the same yardage, and I'm seriously tempted to try that one next. The Merino Chubby Sock sounds very yummy too...

Conwy

The yarn I'm using for these socks is 4Ply Sock: Merino Cashmere, in shade Midnight. I was browsing Ravelry to see what other people have said about this yarn, and mostly all just said how wonderful and soft this yarn is. It is - but I'm not sure I like knitting with it. The yarn is so soft that it feels somehow sticky on the needles, and it's also quite a bit heavier than the other sock yarns I've knit with.

Part of my problem with this yarn could be the colour. I bought this yarn to knit socks for someone very special, and although I'm sure she'll love this colourway, the dusky pinks and lilacs are so not my cup of tea, and make me feel like I'm knitting someone else's project. I do think that these will be very warm and amazingly soft and luxurious socks when finished, so I'll keep knitting. Maybe – and here's a depressing thought – I'm just not a cashmere kinda girl?