2008/06/17

Mehhy Meh Socks

Fancy Silk Sock

Fancy Silk Sock
by Nancy Bush
Pattern source: Knitting Vintage Socks / Nancy Bush
Yarn: Schoeller + Stahl Fortissima Socka
Needles: 2,5 mm for the upper leg and 2,25 mm for the rest of the sock

Fancy Silk Sock

Modifications: The scalloped edge was a bit too much for me, so I replaced it with k1 p1 ribbing, and added two purl rows to separate the ribbing from the leg pattern. The old photo in the book actually has this purl ridge, so it was surprising to find out that the pattern did not. I also added one pattern repeat to the leg, and made the heel a few rows longer. This is a nice, well-written pattern, but I don't know... perhaps a bit too fancy for me?

Fancy Silk Sock

So, feeling a bit disappointed with these socks, but mainly because of the yarn. It's not a nice wool, it's scratchy and sticky, and an especially bad choice for this delicate lace design. I should have stopped after the first sock, but I was stubborn and wanted this yarn out of my stash. And now I have a pair of socks that I'm not that crazy about, and I've wasted valuable time knitting something I did not enjoy knitting at all. Do you do this, or am I the only one? It didn't even occur to me until now that I could've ripped the first sock and tossed the yarn away.

Fancy Silk Sock

One thing's for sure: my next project will be knitted with something nice and soft and lovely. I think I've deserved that.

Fancy Silk Sock