2008/07/19

My precious

Welsh Country Stockings

Welsh Country Stockings
by Nancy Bush
Pattern source: Folk Socks / Nancy Bush
Yarn: Patons Patonyle 4ply, 75 grams of brown (1006), 35 grams of white (1003)

Needles: 2,25 mm


During the last few weeks, my knitting self esteem has sunk to an all-time low. All my bigger projects seem to hate me, even sweet Liesl was too small. Oh you should've seen me ripping it – knitting is clearly the new kick-boxing. All the other Liesl knitters were able to knit this little sweater in one afternoon with charming results, but not me. Maybe they swatched? (Crazy, I know.)

But when sweater knitting kicks you in the head, it's time to knit a pair of socks.

Welsh Country Stockings

Can you feel the love? I adore these socks – they are perfect in every way. I made a few modifications to the pattern: I left out the contrasting heel, and added the fair isle motif to the toe too. There's an old photo in the book on page 25 with socks like this, and I liked them better. I really like that tiny bit of colourwork – enough to make the socks pretty, but not enough to make you go crazy knitting it.

Welsh Country Stockings

The yarn, Patons Patonyle 4ply, was sent to me for my opinion by Patons. Luckily this was an easy job – I loved this yarn! It's incredibly soft, it's easy on the hands and knits up just beautifully. With 20 % nylon content it should wear well too. I even found a group in Ravelry dedicated to this yarn, so clearly I'm not the only one who likes it. It doesn't show on the Patons website just yet, but it should be available sometime next winter.

We'll be heading out to the summer cottage next week, so I'll leave you with a sneak peek at my next sock project. For the sake of peace and happiness of all beings, there won't be any sweater projects in my bag.

Socks in Colinette Jitterbug