2008/09/02

How the vest was won

Kaino

Kaino
by Norah Gaughan
Pattern source: Norah Gaughan Vol. 1
Yarn: Rowan Kid Classic in shade Reed, 6,5 x 50 g
Needles: 4,5 and 4 mm

Boy it felt odd to block and seam something. Haven't done that in a while. But it also felt really, really good to finish something bigger for a change – I think the sweater mojo is finally returning, and I welcome it back with open arms. Those evil socks: they can really ruin your sweater knitting career if you aren't careful.

Kaino

This was a nice, straight-forward project. Would've been quick too if I hadn't abandoned it for months in between. But then I found a new sweater pattern to obsess over (more about that later), and decided to finish my hibernating projects before starting any new. This is only my second garment of 2008, and the funny thing is that both of the garments I've knit this year are vests by Norah Gaughan.

Kaino

The only modification I made with this one was with the collar: the back of the collar comes to a point, which looked kinda odd to me, so I decided to make it rounder. I could have made it even rounder – and I should have also used short rows and grafting to make it look neater. My seaming looks a bit clumsy. Luckily I can't see it myself, so it doesn't bother me enought to do it again.

Kaino

So, overall I'm pretty happy with my new vest. It fits, it feels comfortable on, and the colour looks good on me. It's just that I'm not good at all at wearing anything but black or grey or really dark colours – my inner goth girl writhes in pain in a green vest I guess. Another slight minus is the yarn. I'm not a big fan of Kid Classic – I find it very disappointing that a yarn that looks this fluffy, isn't actually soft. It itches! And I hate the shedding! No more mohair yarns for me thankyouverymuch.

The end of the yarn diet

P.S. My yarn diet has come to an end. That's all I have to say about that.