2008/10/11

Let the festivities begin

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch
by Nancy Bush
Pattern source: Knitting Vintage Socks / Nancy Bush
Yarn: Handarbeitskram by Selana Handpainted sockyarn (overdyed with food colouring), Patons Patonyle for the stripes
Needles: 2,25 mm (2 mm for the heels)

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch

It's Socktober, so here's a pair for you. I'm thinking about knitting only socks this month, but we'll see how that goes… every time I publicly announce something here in my blog, the next day I find myself wanting to do the opposite. Like, during the first Socktoberfest, while knitting a pair of baby socks with very little motivation, I wrote: "Now I know for sure that I don't like knitting socks. But I'm trying to finish these by Christmas, and then I can forget the sock knitting for forever." Tee-hee.

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch

These socks are for my dad. It's a good thing I love him so much, because otherwise I would be very tempted to keep these myself… but that would be kinda wrong seeing that I already have a drawer filled with unworn hand-knit socks. There's just something about those cute stripes that makes me feel very Gollum-like. I love Nancy Bush's gentleman socks, the simple knit and purl patterns are so beautiful, and the patterns usually have calf shaping which I think all sock patterns should have.

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch

The yarn was a Ravelry-trade. Although it was not the softest sock yarn I've tried, I really enjoyed knitting with it, and most importantly, my wrists liked it too. The more tightly twisted yarns, like Koigu and Jitterbug for example, though lovely and soft and bouncy, make my wrists act up pretty soon. And these socks definitely feel soft enough when worn. I love them! Let's hope my dad likes them too.

Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch