2008/10/18

SIPs and the Stash

Heelless Sleeping Socks

I was trying my very hardest to have these socks done by this weekend, but alas, it did not happen. Almost there though. With bigger needles and yarn than what I normally use, these have been a breeze to knit. The pattern is Heelless Sleeping Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks, and the yarn is The Yarn Yard Hug. I got it from Lin – I won a contest on her blog, and she sent me the most awesome package ever. Thanks again Lin!

I could have had a finished pair to show today had I not cast on for two other socks at the same time.

Two-Yarn Resoleable Socks

This is the Two-Yarn Resoleable Sock from Favorite Socks. I'm knitting the cuff and instep in my godmother's naturally dyed handspun yarn, and I'm gonna use a sturdier wool for the heel and sole. I'm pretty excited to see how the two parts of the sock are going to be joined.

Flammegarn Socks

Here's the third project, Flammegarn Socks from Folk Socks, in Fleece Artist Merino Sock 2/6. Nothing much to say about this one just yet, except that I'm really loving how the yarn and the simple slip stitch pattern look together.

So, lots of sock knitting going on here! I've done 13 pairs this year so far, and for the most part I've been knitting from the stash. I was starting to feel like there's not that much sock yarn left anymore…

sock yarn stash

… but turned out I still have yarn for 18 more pairs! It's funny that two years ago my sock yarn stash was about the same size as it is now – this must be a good amount for me. What do you think? What would be the ideal amount for you? And how much sock yarn do you have? I would love to know.